Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Surgery Ready!

Hey gang!

Had my appointment today with the surgeon and received pretty much nothing but good news.  He had the models and the x-rays with him during the appointment.  He kept drawing little lines on the models and checking the symmetry of my face and my smile.  Eventually he shook my hand and concluded with "well you did a fantastic job of following any instructions you're orthodontist has given you and you are ready to go.  From here we will start the booking process."  I'm pretty sure I did a little dance internally when he said that.  He said he had one final adjustment he would tell my ortho about before monday for my next ortho appointment, but that the booking process takes long enough where it won't matter.

So aside from being ready, he also said he will only be doing one jaw, my lower jaw.  He said he is going to turn it so that the midline is aligned and there will be no adjustment to my chin or anything like that.  He didn't give me like exact measurements or even really tell me what he was going to do to my bottom jaw to fix the open bite though.  I guess I'm to blame for not asking I just don't understand how he's gonna fix it with just adjusting my lower jaw.  The only thing I can think of his maybe turning the lower jaw up and under my top jawBut I trust this dude and I think he knows what hes doing.  The good news about this though is two things, one the cost of the total surgery is probably almost cut in half with only one jaw having to get done, and two is that I'm hoping the recovery time will be quicker.

Alright I just spent like an hour researching how the hell he was going to do this and I found a terrific link which I think explains it really really well.  Lower Jaw Surgery 1 and Lower Jaw Surgery 2
I think either of those would be an option but these pictures illustrate he could pretty much do either and still accomplish the same goal:





Its basically a good visual to show no matter which way he goes about it, he can rotate the jaw in all directions to get the teeth to interlock correctly.  I think he will be turning my jaw so the midline is correct and then I believe the jaw will just be rotated clockwise (if your looking at these pictures above) and maybe just a small bit backwards.  These are really good visuals though I feel like and its comforting to know that he can fix everything with just the one jaw.  Pretty cool!

Anyway so after the meeting the assistant was talking with my surgeon in front of me as he was giving her the next steps and he told her we were ready to do the booking process.  She asked when he thought we should have the surgery and he looked at me and I said as soon as possible.  She asked him "before Christmas?" And he was just like "Um we'll have to see whats available, and he asked me if it was urgent."  I was honest and said its not like I absolutely need it, I'm not in pain or anything but preferably I'ld like to have it as soon as possible.  She said oh well we'll have to check to see what dates we have available once we hear back from insurance.  So once that conversation takes place, hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll be able to book a time.  The fact that she said "before Christmas?"  already tells me that they have time slots available so there is a sliver of hope of getting this taken care of in 2012.  If not I'm thinking early next year as I've been saying all along. 

I'll make another post after I visit from my orthodontist on Monday, and hopefully the next post after that will be a Surgery Date post woooohoooo!  Happy Halloween everyone!










My topical Halloween Costume from Saturday




6 comments:

  1. Lmao I love ur costume! I think it's great u only have to do 1 jaw. I'm sure it will be a quicker healing process. I also had my lower jaw slightly rotated as well as my upper jaw. I definitely see y he wouldn't need to fix ur upper jaw. It looks perfect! Good luck with everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thanks! I just started reading parts of you're blog and I'm sure you saw my comment, you're results look fantastic! Thanks for reading and good luck with recovery!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant news matey XD :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D just make sure surgery isnt before christmas... all that food cany go to waste!! XD Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! I hate waiting for anything so I'll be taking whatever the earliest day is available when they call in hopefully 2 weeks or so. My realistic guess is still January though.

      Delete
  3. I envy the reciprocity between your surgeon and orthodontist.
    I feel that mine are on two separate pages even now after surgery.
    I'm so happy to hear of your good news, that would be amazing to have surgery before christmas, not so amazing for eating delicious food, but still amazing to go into a new year with jaw surgery behind you.
    I find the lower jaw stays numb a lot longer. I still have very little feeling but I had the chin done too.
    Good luck with everything and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helps that their offices are within walking distance of each other too. I'm sure most of their recommendations go right to him. I feel like they work together a lot which is good. Delaware is particularly small as well so this surgeon is like the go to guy around here. I've already met a few people that have had surgery by him just from telling my story to locals. I doubt its going to be before Christmas but I hate waiting for anything, even bad stuff, I just want to get it over with. Hope you're recovery is going well, pictures look really good so far!

      Delete